Monday, May 26, 2014

Strong, Beautiful, and 100% Natural!

When I was a freshman in high school a class mate complimented me on my homemade manicure. She then asked where I'd had them done. I proudly told her that I had done them myself. Her response, "There is now way nails that long can be real!"

That was my first experience with the concept of "fake" or acrylic nails but by no means was it my last. By the time I was in college it seemed like everyone was getting a "full set" every few weeks. Ever the diy-er I even tried press on nails and later acrylic fills just to see if they were truly superior to natural nails. The results were less than desirable.

When I married my husband we had the funds for me to go to a professional nail salon. He new I adored my naturally long jewels and thought a manicure once in a while would be a nice treat. Well... all of the manicurists I've had work on me have been very polite and enthusiastic and did an excellent job at painting my nails. However, when it came to the filing and shaping of the nail it is clear that today's nail technicians just aren't that experienced or even informed where natural nails are concerned. After the third appointment I went back to doing my own nails.

I'm the type of person who will spend an hour meticulously shaping and smoothing my nails before picking the perfect color to paint them. I am proud to have made these beauties with my own cells and I know there others out there like me that love the strength, beauty, and utility that comes from keeping natural nails. Short, medium, or long we all deserve to be proud of our pretty natural nails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment